Map of Local Tourist Attractions, Directions & Links
Walsh Whiskey Distillery is located in Ireland’s Ancient East region in the south-east which is blessed by a temperate climate and bountiful crops from the barley-basket of Ireland – both of which underpin Royal Oak’s reputation as an idyllic place for the creation of a world-class whiskey. The distillery is set in a majestic 18th century estate, on the banks of the River Barrow, bounded by barley fields and framed by mighty 200 year-old oak trees. It is located directly over the Barrow Valley Aquifer, one of the largest underground lakes in Ireland and an infinite source of the purest water nature can provide for the creation of our world-class whiskeys.
Royal Oak is in County Carlow, a half hour from the charming medieval city of Kilkenny, which dates back to 1085, and just one hour from Dublin, Ireland’s capital city. Carlow is home to some of the greatest race horse trainers in the world and the surrounding countryside is rich in Castles, Gardens, Festivals, Mansions, Crafts, Abbeys, Pubs, Trails, Golf & Race Courses to meet every interest and curiosity.
- Ireland’s Ancient East – irelandsancienteast.com
- Carlow Tourism – carlowtourism.com
- Kilkenny Tourism – visitkilkenny.ie
Travelling by Bus
Take the Bus Eireann or JJ Kavanagh bus service directly from Dublin City to Royal Oak. The route is on the original 19th century Bianconi coach line and the stop is located immediately outside the Royal Oak estate gates.
Travelling by Train
Take the Dublin-Waterford line to Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag) Station. Walsh Whiskey Distillery is a 4 minute/2 kilometre Taxi journey from the station.
Travelling by Road from a Southerly Direction:
- Make your way to Junction 7 on the M9
- At Junction 7, exit toward Leighlinbridge/Paulstown/R448
- At roundabout, take 2nd exit
- At the roundabout take, take first exit onto R448
- Turn right onto R724 (Walsh Whiskey Distillery sign will be here)
- After taking this right turn (which brings you immediately into the tiny village of Royal Oak), turn immediately left onto Royal Oak Road.
- You will arrive at Walsh Whiskey Distillery on your right.
Travelling by Road from a Northerly Direction:
- Make your way to Junction 6 on the M9
- At Junction 6, take the R448 exit to Carlow/Bagenalstown/Leighlinbridge
- At the roundabout, take 1st exit onto R448
- Drive (circa 10 mins & passing the Arboretum garden centre on your left) until you see the turn for Bagenalstown R724
- After taking this turn (which brings you immediately into the tiny village of Royal Oak), turn immediately left onto Royal Oak Road. (It is as good as a hairpin turn)
- After 150 metres, you will arrive at Walsh Whiskey Distillery entrance on your right.
Walsh Whiskey Distillery at Royal Oak: